organ music, most of which is otherwise unavailable. Our editions offer
explanations of archaic terms, capsule biographies, photos, and other
interesting information that helps the performer to understand and
present a musical and historically informed performance.
Learn about sheet music restoration.
Why Buy Sheet Music? In December 2002,
John Apple wrote: “It is of interest to note that since Warner Bros (owned
by Time-Warner) has acquired the Belwin-HW Gray etc catalog, much of it has been discontinued.
In fact, in comparing the catalog of 2000 to 2002, half of
the organ music is gone. I talked with an employee who stated that
an organ piece must sell 200 copies per year in order to remain in
print. I cannot imagine how many organ pieces can meet
that number! The employee also said that they are not even keeping
archive copies. This is really a tragedy when you consider
that during the last 100 years HW Gray published over 1,000
organ pieces in its St Cecilia Series in addition to its Contemporary
Series and other works. Most of the J Fischer Series is gone, and
that is only the organ music! Much of the choral catalogs of these
companies are out of print. What is being published in their names
bears little resemblance to the older music.
These companies will not continue to publish any sheet music
as more people download for reduced prices or for free. Supporting a small
company like ours can keep a few things available for a while longer.”
Since then, the music controlled by Warners has been
passed around (the control, not the actual music) and currently resides
with Alfred Publishing Company.
Compose and Arrange organ music,
including chorus parts and instruments
Reference and Referral services
are offered for all aspects of organ music. They include:
- finding sources for in-print and out-of-print organ music
- finding pieces whose title is uncertain
- finding pieces included only in collections
- referring clients to research facilities, libraries, and databases
- advising how and from whom to commission new organ music
- finding sources for organ recordings in all formats
Advice is offered on these:
- finding an organ builder or consultant. We can help you choose
an organ for your house or facility by arranging auditions, tours,
and meetings with organ builders. Since we are unaffiliated with
any builder, this makes us unbiased organ consultants.
- distribution of unwanted organ music and recordings from divorces,
estates, companies, and libraries
- trading original organ music and recordings
- donation or disposal of organs
- sale and auction of organ music and related items (Ebay consulting)
- any other questions about organ music and related items in general or in particular
Teach organ, piano, and voice lessons in
the Charlotte area
is generally no charge for reference & referral services. We appraise
record (vinyl, CD, tape) collections and can help you distribute organ
items to people who will value and use them. We can also advise you on
the online marketplaces such as Ebay and web commerce sites.
These services, as well as composing, arranging, and lessons each have
negotiated fees. Michael’s Music Service is proud to say that we
handle everything organic! And we'd love to talk to you!