by S Tudor Strang,
reprint of the 1879 W H Boner & Co edition
This is a new printing on sturdy acid-free paper of the original sheet music published in 1879 by
W H Boner & Co in Philadelphia. 8 pages. All markings are original. Highest quality guaranteed.
Size of music is 13.5" x 10.5"
This Is Newly Printed Music
Samuel Tudor Strang
and usually known as
Tudor Strang) (1856-1921) studied with Guilmant, served in churches in Philadelphia
where he gave recitals and composed, was a founder of the AGO (Sub-warden
in 1900), received his B Mus degree from the University of Pennsylvania
in 1904, and served as organist of the Philadelphia Orchestra during 1910–11.
(He was also a prize-winning photographer!) Compare this piece by a church
organist with the much better known Open
by Louis Meyer, a secular composer and arranger,
which was also published in Philadelphia in the same year by F A North, also
on Chestnut Street. Easy.
Below is his obituary from “The New Music Review and Church Music Review” (Official
Organ of the American Guild of Organists), June 1921:
|S. Tudor Strang, one of the most prominent of Philadelphia’s
organists and composers for the organ, and a founder of the Guild, died
suddenly on April 29th, at the Bryn Mawr railroad station.
His death came
while on his way home from choir practice. Born in Philadelphia sixty-five
years ago, Mr. Strang began his musical studies at the age of eight. He
was a pupil of David Wood, the noted blind organist, and later of Alexandre
Guilmant in Paris. He also studied at the school of music of the University
of Pennsylvania, receiving the degree of Mus. Bac. In 1876 he was chosen
to play at the centennial exposition in Philadelphia. Mr. Strang was organist
and choirmaster of several churches in Philadelphia prior to taking charge
of the music at the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Redeemer at Bryn Mawr.